Alpha Pi Mu Student Chapter
Alpha Pi Mu is the only nationally accepted industrial engineering honor society. Chapters now exist in almost every major university, which possesses an accredited Industrial Engineering department.
Alpha Pi Mu hopes to bring IE students together through extracurricular activities. Simply getting to know other students within your major can provide benefits scholastically, socially, and professionally.
The goals are stated by Alpha Pi Mu as follows:
- To confer recognition upon the student of industrial engineering who has shown exceptional academic interests and abilities in his field.
- To encourage wherever possible any movement which will advance the best interest of industrial engineering education.
- To further unify the student body of Industrial Engineering Department in presenting its needs and ideals to the faculty.
- To create a closer student-faculty relationship by bringing together the needs and thoughts of both.
- To assist and cooperate with all organizations and persons working for the interest of industrial engineering.
- To benefit its members by the association of experience that can come from bringing together a group with similar interests, objectives, and to promote the professional welfare of all.
Membership Benefits and Society Services
While the scholarship requirement for membership provides encouragement for underclassmen and graduate students, many of the chapters offer yearly prizes for freshmen and sophomores who show great promise.
A number of companies who employ engineers give added consideration to honor society members, for they have already demonstrated that they have "something extra". Employers often look for signs of potential leadership characteristics among the engineers they interview - an ability to get things done with the cooperation of others. The worthwhile projects carried out by the chapter provide excellent opportunities for the acquisition of leadership experience and the satisfaction of accomplishment.
Industrial Engineering Department Activities
Our chapter carries out a variety of activities designed to help our departments in area that would be most beneficial.
Progress of the industrial engineering profession is closely linked to the growth and development of the Institute of Industrial Engineers; hence Alpha Pi Mu has long had close ties with and has cooperated fully with that organization. The societies contain a number of officers and members who are actives in both groups, affording close liaison and mutual help.
General government of the organization is conducted by the National Convention and a National Executive Council. Council elections are conducted at each of the national conventions. Ultimate authority for society affairs rests with the various active chapters. In addition, an executive director handles business and maintains coordination between chapters.
The National Constitution sets minimum scholarship requirements for membership eligibility. Individual chapters may establish requirements above this minimum level. The Constitution states that only those ranked in the upper one-fifth of the junior class or the upper one-third of the senior class can be considered for membership. Graduate students who have demonstrated exceptional scholarly achievement may, upon nomination by the department head, be considered for membership. Alpha Pi Mu encourages this high caliber of performance to help insure for success in your profession.